Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Problem Of Practice: Effective Feedback


How do I give timely, personalized, useful feedback that students are able to process, interact with, and use effectively?

Please consider the following factors:
  • Time! Not becoming burnt out. 
    • Large class sizes (Last year I taught 6 class periods each day of 32 students each- 192 students total!) 
  • Accessibility 
    • Hearing/Vision impairments 
    • English Language Learners 
  • How do I measure their use of the feedback? 
  • How do I know the feedback was effective and increased learning? 
  • Interactivity with students? 
  • Ease of use for students?
Thank you for your feedback and ideas!

3 comments:

  1. I have the same issue! My 5 classes range from 35 to 50 students each, and giving all of them constructive feedback daily is pretty much impossible. My goal is to have at least 1 "contact" with each student everyday. Sometimes it might only be a "good morning," when they walk in, or something basic and quick like "nice job with..." during the lesson. Other students will get the more in depth and constructive feedback we want to give everyone. Everyday who gets good feedback changes, and hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to reach every student. The time it takes with each student will always vary and some days you will reach more than others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin,
    Have you tried using Google Classroom with your students?
    I know several teachers who assign work through Google Classroom and have kids turn everything in digitally. This allows for a few things to happen:

    no heavy piles of paper to carry home
    feedback to students isn't lost
    you can view their revision history

    In addition, I know some English teachers stagger when they give big writing assignments like this. That allows them to be able to keep up with commenting/feedback and not feel too overwhelmed. It takes more planning, and means that students are writing papers at different times throughout the year about different topics, but it may help with such a large number of students! 192 sounds insane!
    ~ Terin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin,

    Are you looking to give feedback electronically for all students, specific classes, or use no technology? I think that's a lot of students to not use technology. Are most of the assignments digital or could be digital?

    Annmarie

    ReplyDelete